A Layaway is a method of purchasing by which the purchaser reserves an article with a down payment and claims it only after paying the full balance. In the default settings, you can arrange whether or not layaway items are included in the inventory until full payment is made.
1. Go to Defaults > Sales > Transaction Type.
2. Locate the table in the top half of the screen. Check the Inventory Committed box found in the Layaway row (Note: an unchecked box will not commit the inventory). You can also set the deposit on this screen.
3. Go to Operations > Sales > Sales. From the Sales screen, scan all the items for sale and arrive at the Payment screen. Right before clicking on Accept, click on [Change F12] at the top of the screen.
4. On the Change screen, click on [F3] Layaway.
5. If you haven’t already done so, you will be prompted to enter in a customer. Select the customer by pushing the Enter key or clicking on Select.
6. Click on Accept at the Deposit screen to proceed with the sale. The amount of the deposit is set in Defaults > Sales > Transaction Type.
7. The Payment screen will appear again with the layaway amount ready to be checked out. Process the sale as usual by entering in the amount due.